Chicken with celery root and apple
Uncooked bone in skinless chicken thigh
24 oz, 4(6-ounce) thighs, skin removed
1 large, chopped
3 large clove(s), minced
Canned chicken broth
1½ pound(s), 1 (1 1/2-pound celery root), trimmed, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
4 medium, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch chunks
Unsweetened apple juice
½ cup(s), or cider
2 tsp, minced or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1 medium, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
¼ cup(s), chopped flat-leaf leaves, lightly packed
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Heat oil in large heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to plate.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion to skillet and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add broth and bring to boil, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan. Remove skillet from heat.
- Combine celery root, carrots, apple juice, thyme, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Stir in onion mixture and place chicken on top in single layer. Cover and cook until chicken and vegetables are fork-tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours on High or 5 to 6 hours on Low.
- Transfer chicken to plate and cover to keep warm. Stir apple and mustard into slow cooker. Cover and cook until mixture simmers, about 30 minutes on High. Return chicken to slow cooker. Cover and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes longer. Stir in parsley.
- Per serving: 1 chicken thigh with 1 cup vegetables and 1/3 cup sauce