Homemade gumbo in 35 minutes or less? Absolutely! Use a frozen mix of corn, bell pepper, okra and onion and you'll be sitting down to dinner in no time.
- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
- 6 oz uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 oz beef or pork summer sausage(s), spicy (chicken, turkey or pork), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 10 oz frozen gumbo style vegetables, (corn, pepper, okra and onion)
- 1 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup(s) canned chicken broth
- 1 cup(s) canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 leaf/leaves bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp table salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 medium uncooked scallion(s), green part only, chopped
Generously coat Dutch oven with cooking spray. Add chicken and sausage; brown, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes.
Stir in frozen vegetables and garlic; sauté until vegetables are thawed, about 5 minutes.
Sprinkle mixture with flour and cook 1 minute. Stir in chicken broth and scrape up any browned bits in bottom of Dutch oven.
Stir in crushed tomatoes, bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper; simmer 5 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Divide among 4 bowls, sprinkle with scallions and serve. Yields about 1 1/4 cups per serving.