- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/4 pound(s) uncooked boneless skinless chicken thigh(s)
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 medium sweet red pepper(s), chopped
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 3 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 1 cup(s) uncooked long grain brown rice
- 14 1/2 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup(s) water
- 7 oz frozen artichokes, thawed and coarsely chopped (1 cup)
- 1 Tbsp capers, drained
Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the chicken with the oregano, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and the black pepper. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook until browned, about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate.
Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the skillet. Add the bell peppers, onion, and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 4 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, 1 minute longer. Add the chicken, tomatoes, water, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the rice is tender, the liquid is absorbed, and the chicken is cooked through, about 40 minutes longer.
Uncover the pan and scatter the artichokes and capers over the rice. Cook, covered, just until the artichokes are heated through, about 3 minutes. Yields 1 chicken thigh and 1 1/3 cups rice mixture per serving.