Cheesy Cauliflower Gratin with Crispy Panko Topping
- Total Time
This creamy, comforting gratin features a mix of regular and low-fat cheese to make it flavorful but light. A crunchy panko topping is the perfect finish.
cooking spray2 spray(s)
uncooked cauliflower3 pound(s), florets
panko breadcrumbs½ cup(s)
grated Pecorino cheese¼ cup(s)
kosher salt1 ½ tsp, divided
unsalted butter2 Tbsp
all-purpose flour2 Tbsp
low-fat milk1 cup(s), warmed
Gruyère cheese2 oz, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese½ cup(s)
minced garlic2 tsp
ground nutmeg1 pinch
fresh parsley2 Tbsp, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a large 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; add cauliflower and cook until fork tender, about 5 to 6 minutes. Drain well; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, toss together panko, Pecorino and 1/2 teaspoon salt; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; add flour and cook, stirring, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in warm milk until thick and smooth; stir in Gruyere, mozzarella, garlic, remaining teaspoon salt and nutmeg.
- Spoon cauliflower into prepared pan and pour cheese sauce over top; toss until well-mixed and then sprinkle with panko mixture. Bake until panko begins to brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. Serve garnished with parsley. Yields about 1/2 cup per serving.