Cheddar Cheese Soup
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked onion(s), yellow, chopped
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cup(s) fat free chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cup(s) fat free skim milk
- 7 oz low fat cheddar or colby cheese, about 1 3/4 cups
- 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 1 tsp paprika
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; add onion and cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Add flour and stir to coat. Add chicken broth; bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until soup thickens, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add milk and return to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Working in batches, puree soup in a blender until smooth; return puree to pan and reheat soup to boiling. Remove pan from heat and whisk in cheese; stir until melted (if cheese does not completely melt, cook over low heat for 1 minute, stirring constantly, until melted); season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle 1 1/4 cups of soup into each of 4 bowls and sprinkle each with 1/4 teaspoon of paprika.