Carne guisada with charred tortillas
uncooked lean trimmed boneless chuck steak
½ pound(s), cut into 1-inch chunks
1 medium clove(s), minced
canned diced tomatoes
1 cup(s), with juice
uncooked bell pepper(s)
1 item(s), small, yellow variety, chopped
1 small, chopped
1 medium, sliced
¼ cup(s), chopped fresh
4 item(s), (6-inch)
50% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
⅛ cup(s), shredded, (2 tablespoons)
2 medium, thinly sliced
½ small, thinly sliced, or to taste
½ medium, cut into 2 wedges
- Sprinkle beef with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Spray medium nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium heat. Add beef and cook until browned on all sides, about 6 minutes. Transfer to 2-quart slow cooker.
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, and oregano to skillet; reduce heat to low and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Sprinkle with flour and stir until coated evenly. Stir in tomatoes and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and bring to boil, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan. Reduce heat and simmer 1 minute.
- Add tomato mixture to slow cooker; stir in bell pepper and poblano. Cover and cook until beef is fork-tender, 2–3 hours on High or 4–6 hours on Low. Stir in scallion and chopped cilantro.
- About 5 minutes before cooking time is up, heat tortillas, one at a time, in dry medium skillet set over medium-high heat until lightly charred in spots (or hold over a gas flame with tongs).
- Spoon stew evenly into 2 bowls. Sprinkle each serving with Cheddar, radishes, jalapeño, and cilantro sprigs; serve with tortillas and lime wedges.
- Per serving: 1 cup stew, 1 tablespoon cheese, and 2 corn tortillas