Cara Cara Oranges, Roasted Beets, and Pistachio Couscous
1 pound(s), peeled (either vacuum-packed or home cooked), cut in large dice
3 medium, Cara Cara variety
Fresh orange juice
2 fl oz, from one of the above oranges
½ tsp, or to taste
¼ tsp, or to taste
Salted dry-roasted pistachio nuts
¼ cup(s), coarsely chopped
1½ cup(s), Moroccan variety
Crumbled goat cheese
¼ cup(s), soft-type
2 Tbsp, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place beets in a bowl. Zest one orange; set zest aside. Squeeze juice from zested orange into a small bowl; remove any seeds. Take 1 Tbsp juice and add to beets; reserve remaining juice. Season beets with salt and pepper; toss to coat. Place beets on a rimmed baking pan; roast for 15 minutes (reserve used bowl).
- Meanwhile, heat a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add pistachios to pan; toss nuts until they begin to lightly brown, about 3 minutes; remove and set aside.
- Add broth and water to same pan; season lightly with salt and pepper (optional). Bring to a boil over high heat; stir in half of reserved orange zest and all of the couscous. Cover pan, remove from heat, and let set for 5 minutes.
- While couscous sits, cut rind from remaining oranges; cut oranges in half and then into large dice. Place oranges in reserved bowl; add roasted beets and toss.
- Fluff couscous with a fork; toss with 1 Tbsp reserved juice and spoon into a large serving bowl. Top with roasted beets and oranges; garnish with pistachios, cheese, chives, and remaining orange zest.
- Serving size: 1 cup