Grated into the soup, the potato melts, its starch thickening the broth into a creamy winter warmer.
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 2 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 8 oz uncooked turkey sausage(s), smoked variety, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 4 cup(s) canned chicken broth
- 8 oz uncooked potato(es), baking-variety (about 1 medium), peeled
- 4 cup(s) uncooked kale, stemmed and shredded
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/8 tsp hot pepper sauce, or to taste
Spray a large saucepan with nonstick spray; set over medium heat. Add the onion; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 20 seconds.
Add the sausage; cook, stirring often, until browned, about 5 minutes.
Pour in the broth; bring to a simmer, stirring often.
Using the small holes of a box grater, grate the potato into the stew. Stir well while returning to a simmer. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring a couple of times.
Stir in the kale; cover and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the kale is tender, about 12 minutes. Stir in the salt, pepper, and hot red pepper sauce before serving. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.