- Total Time
Grated into the soup, the potato melts, its starch thickening the broth into a creamy winter warmer.
cooking spray1 spray(s)
uncooked onion(s)1 medium, chopped
garlic clove(s)2 clove(s), medium, minced
uncooked turkey sausage(s)8 oz, smoked variety, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
canned chicken broth4 cup(s)
uncooked potato(es)8 oz, baking-variety (about 1 medium), peeled
uncooked kale4 cup(s), stemmed and shredded
table salt½ tsp
black pepper½ tsp, freshly ground
hot pepper sauce⅛ tsp, or to taste
- Spray a large saucepan with nonstick spray; set over medium heat. Add the onion; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 20 seconds.
- Add the sausage; cook, stirring often, until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the broth; bring to a simmer, stirring often.
- Using the small holes of a box grater, grate the potato into the stew. Stir well while returning to a simmer. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring a couple of times.
- Stir in the kale; cover and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the kale is tender, about 12 minutes. Stir in the salt, pepper, and hot red pepper sauce before serving. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.