Brussels sprouts with chestnuts
Uncooked Brussels sprouts
1½ pound(s), outer leaves trimmed, cut in half lengthwise
Uncooked turkey bacon
1 Tbsp, divided
3 medium, thinly sliced (white and light green parts; about 1 1/2 cups)
¼ cup(s), divided
Apple cider vinegar
Roasted European chestnuts
8 oz, peeled, quartered (fresh or jarred)
- Steam Brussels sprouts until tender, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned, about 5 minutes; place on paper towels to drain.
- Melt 2 teaspoons butter in same skillet. Add leeks and 3 tablespoons water; toss to coat. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, crumble bacon or cut into strips.
- Add remaining teaspoon butter to skillet; stir until melted. Add Brussels sprouts, remaining tablespoon water, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until Brussels sprouts are hot and coated, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in maple syrup and vinegar; toss to coat. Add chestnuts and bacon; toss over low heat until well-mixed and heated through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Spoon into a serving bowl. Yields about 3/4 cup per serving.