Broccoli and Sausage Casserole
Olive oil cooking spray
1 large clove(s), halved
12 oz, (1 piece), split
Uncooked red onion(s)
1 large, cut into thin wedges
Uncooked sweet Italian turkey sausage
12 oz, or hot variety, casings removed (about 3/4 pound)
Canned chicken broth
Red pepper flakes
Reduced-fat cheddar cheese
3¼ oz, (about 3/4 cup), sharp variety, shredded
- Set racks in lower third and middle of oven and preheat oven to 400°F. Spray two large baking sheets with olive oil nonstick spray.
- Rub garlic over cut sides of bread. Place bread, cut side up, on one side of one prepared baking sheet; spread onion alongside. Spread broccoli on second prepared baking sheet. Spray vegetables and bread with nonstick spray, tossing vegetables until coated evenly. Roast, stirring vegetables after 10 minutes and turning bread over, until broccoli is tender and bread is crisp, about 20 minutes. Cut bread into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Spray 9-inch square baking dish or casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Heat oil in large heavy nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook sausage, breaking it up with wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Add broccoli, onion, bread cubes, broth, salt, black pepper, and pepper flakes, stirring until mixed well.
- Spoon 3 cups of broccoli mixture into prepared baking dish; sprinkle with 1/4 cup of Cheddar. Top with remaining broccoli mixture and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake until cheese is melted and casserole is heated through, about 30 minutes.
- Per serving: 1/8 of casserole