Bouillabaisse with rouille
10 oz, divided
Roasted red peppers (packed in water)
½ cup(s), chopped
4 medium clove(s), minced and divided
¾ tsp, divided
Extra virgin olive oil
4 Tbsp, divided
1 pound(s), large, shell-on
Canned clam juice
3 cup(s), or bottled
¼ tsp, optional
Uncooked fennel bulb(s)
1 cup(s), (about 1 medium) finely chopped
2 cup(s), seeded and chopped (about 2 large)
2 Tbsp, Pernod or other anise-flavored liqueur
Little neck clams
32 item(s), about 2 lb, scrubbed
Uncooked snapper fillet(s)
1 pound(s), cut into 2-in pieces
½ cup(s), optional
- Chop 2 oz baguette; slice remaining 8 oz into 16 slices. (Toast slices, if desired.) Store baguette slices in airtight container until serving. In blender, combine 1⁄2 cup water, chopped baguette, red peppers, 1 garlic clove, 1⁄4 tsp salt, and cayenne; blend on high speed until almost smooth, about 30 seconds. With blender running, drizzle in 2 tbsp oil; blend rouille until smooth, about 30 seconds. Scrape rouille into bowl; cover and refrigerate. Rinse blender.
- Peel and devein shrimp; refrigerate. Reserve shells and tails. Thinly slice white and pale-green parts of leeks; reserve dark greens.
- Coat large Dutch oven with nonstick spray; heat over medium- high. Add shrimp shells and tails. Cook until shells turn red, about 5 minutes. Add 3 cups water, clam juice, thyme, and dark leek greens; bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Discard thyme and dark leek greens, squeezing out as much liquid as possible. Pour shrimp stock and shells into blender.
- Remove center piece of blender lid. Secure lid on blender; place towel on top. Blend stock on low speed for 15 seconds, then on high for 45 seconds. Using fine-mesh strainer, strain stock into large bowl.
- In small bowl, soften saffron (if using) with 2 cups warm water. Heat remaining 2 tbsp oil over medium in pot; swirl to coat pot. Add chopped fennel, sliced leeks, and remaining garlic; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in stock, liqueur, bay leaves, remaining 1⁄2 tsp salt, and saffron water (or 2 cups water). Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Discard bay leaves.
- Add clams; cover. Cook for 4 minutes. Add fish; cover. Cook for 2 minutes. Stir in shrimp; cover. Cook until seafood is cooked through and clams open, about 2 minutes. (Discard unopened clams.) Top stew with fennel fronds (if using). Spread baguette slices with rouille.
- Serving size: about 1⅔ cups stew, 2 baguette slices, and 2 tbsp rouille