Black rice salad with tofu and squash
Uncooked black rice
Uncooked butternut squash
1 pound(s), cut into 3/4-inch dice
1 tsp, chopped
¾ tsp, divided
1½ Tbsp, red wine variety
1 small, minced
1 bunch(es), lacinato variety, stems removed and leaves thinly sliced
Plain baked tofu
6 oz, or smoked variety, diced
- Combine rice, water, and pinch salt in small saucepan and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until rice is tender, about 30 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let rice stand, covered, 5 minutes. Transfer to large bowl and let stand, tossing occasionally, until slightly cooled, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425°F. Line large rimmed baking sheet with foil; spray foil with nonstick spray.
- Combine squash, thyme, and 1/4 tsp salt on baking sheet. Spray with olive oil nonstick spray and toss to coat. Spread squash in even layer and spray again with nonstick spray. Roast until squash is lightly browned and tender, about 25 minutes, turning once halfway through roasting time.
- To make dressing, whisk together oil, vinegar, honey, 1/2 tsp salt, and pepper in small bowl. Stir in shallot.
- Add squash, kale, and tofu to rice; drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Divide salad among 6 bowls. Top evenly with pomegranate seeds.
- Serving size: 1 1/3 cups salad and 1 tbsp pomegranate seeds