Bell Peppers with Chickpea Mash, Eggs and Harissa
- Total Time
uncooked bell pepper(s)6 item(s), medium, assorted colors
uncooked onion(s)1 medium, diced
table salt¾ tsp, or to taste
black pepper½ tsp, or to taste
ground turmeric½ tsp
garlic powder½ tsp
ground cumin¼ tsp
ground cinnamon¼ tsp
fresh baby spinach3 cup(s), chopped
canned drained chickpeas¾ cup(s), rinsed, drained, mashed slightly with a fork
chives6 tsp, or cilantro, finely chopped
harissa paste6 Tbsp, mild or hot
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line baking sheet with foil and spray foil with nonstick spray.
- Slice lengthwise piece off each bell pepper, leaving stem and bottom intact, creating a boat shape from each; reserve cut pieces of bell pepper. Carefully scoop out membrane and seeds from peppers with melon baller or teaspoon. Set bell peppers on prepared pan, cut side up. Loosely cover with foil; bake 15 minutes
- Meanwhile, dice reserved bell pepper pieces. Spray large skillet with nonstick spray and place over medium-low heat. Add diced bell peppers, onion, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 7 minutes. Add turmeric, garlic powder, cumin, and cinnamon and toss to combine. Add spinach and chickpeas; toss to combine and remove from heat.
- Remove bell peppers from oven and reduce heat to 375°F. Place peppers in baking dish. Divide chickpea mixture evenly among peppers; crack 1 egg onto each pepper and sprinkle with remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and remaining ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Bake, uncovered, until egg whites are set, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with chives and spoon harissa paste over top.
- Serving size: 1 stuffed pepper