- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), diced
- 1 medium uncooked carrot(s), chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp herbes de Provence
- 3 medium sweet red pepper(s), or orange, sliced
- 14 1/2 oz reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 28 oz canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1/2 cup(s) fat free creamer, or fat-free half-and-half
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
In a large pot, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add garlic, stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add onion and carrot. Cook until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
Add herbes de Provence, cook, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add peppers. Cook until begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Note: You do not need to cook peppers if they are charred and peeled.
Add broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Cover; simmer for 25 minutes. Stir in salt, pepper, half-and-half and sugar. Purée in small batches; briefly reheat, if needed. Yields 1 cup per serving.
- Place peppers skin-side up on a foiled-lined baking sheet. Broil until blackened, about 15 minutes. Place in a zip-close plastic bag for 10 minutes. Remove charred peels with hands.