Chef Eric Greenspan's beet-and-pea veggie burgers
3 medium, caps, cut into thin strips
Frozen green peas
½ cup(s), thawed
½ cup(s), green variety
1 cup(s), lightly packed
Dried plain breadcrumbs
1 large egg(s)
3 medium clove(s), finely choppd
Light whole wheat hamburger buns
Uncooked red onion(s)
4 thin slice(s)
Kosher dill pickle sandwich slice(s)
1 cup(s), baby greens (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place mushrooms on one side of baking sheet, drizzle with 11⁄2 teaspoons oil, and toss. Wrap beet in foil and place on other side of baking sheet. Roast until mushrooms are dried and beet is fork-tender, about 45 minutes. Let beet cool and rub off skin.
- Place beet and mushrooms in food processor with peas, lentils, farro, parsley, bread crumbs, egg, garlic, and salt and pulse until chunky and mixture just holds together (do not over-process). Shape mixture into 4 patties, using about 1⁄2 cup mixture each and making patties about 3/4-inch thick. Place on large plate or platter lined with parchment paper, cover with another sheet of parchment, and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the patties and cook until browned on both sides, approximately 5 minutes per side.
- To serve burgers, spread mustard on one side of rolls and mayonnaise on the other side. Place 1 veggie patty inside each along with 1 slice red onion, 3 dill pickle chips, and mesculn baby greens (if using).
- Serving size: 1 garnished burger