- 2 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 large uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 2 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 1 1/2 pound(s) uncooked lean ground beef
- 6 oz fresh spinach, baby leaves, coarsely chopped (about 6 packed cups)
- 29 oz canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp canned tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
- 4 item(s) matzo(s), plain
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add beef to skillet and cook, breaking up meat as it cooks, about 5 to 7 minutes; drain off fat.
Add spinach, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, salt, pepper and paprika to skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until spinach is tender and sauce reduces and thickens, about 15 minutes.
Coat a 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray. Place 2 pieces of matzo in bottom of pan; spread 3 cups meat sauce on top. Place remaining 2 pieces of matzo on top; spoon on remaining meat sauce. Bake until matzo is softened and dish is heated through, about 30 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes before cutting into 8 pieces with a sharp knife.
Serving size: 1 piece
- If you eat dairy and meat together, consider sprinkling with Parmesan cheese before serving (could affect SmartPoints value).