Beef and pepper fajitas
Fresh lime juice
2 large clove(s), minced
Uncooked lean flank steak
1 pound(s), trimmed of all visible fat
Sweet red pepper(s)
2 large, seeded and cut into 1⁄2- inch-wide strips
1 large, seeded and cut into 1⁄2-inch-wide strips
Uncooked red onion(s)
1 large, sliced
2 medium, to 1, seeded and finely chopped (wear gloves to prevent irritation)
Fat free flour tortilla(s)
4 medium, (8-inch)
- Combine the lime juice, oil, garlic, and 1⁄2 teaspoon of the salt in a zip-close plastic bag; add the beef. Squeeze out the air and seal the bag; turn to coat the beef. Refrigerate, turning the bag occasionally, at least 2 hours or up to 4 hours.
- Spray the grill rack with nonstick spray; prepare the grill.
- Put the red and green bell peppers and onion in a bowl. Lightly spray the vegetables with nonstick spray and sprinkle with the remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon salt; toss to coat. Grill the vegetables over medium heat, turning frequently, until tender, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and toss with jalapeño pepper; keep warm.
- Remove the flank steak from the plastic bag; discard marinade. Place the steak on the grill rack and grill, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer, inserted in the center of the steak, registers 145°F for medium-rare, about 12 minutes. Transfer the meat to a plate; keep warm. Grill the tortillas until browned in spots, about 1 minute on each side. Transfer to a basket.
- Thinly slice the flank steak on the diagonal. Fill each tortilla with 3 to 4 slices of the flank steak and about 1 cup of the vegetables. Or serve the tortillas in a basket and arrange the meat and vegetables on a platter, then let each person assemble his own fajita. Yields 1 fajita per serving.