- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), minced
- 1 cup(s) uncooked pearl barley, use quick-cooking variety
- 3 cup(s) fat free chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1/2 pound(s) uncooked asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup(s) chives, fresh, sliced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
Warm oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until onion is tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in barley and cook, stirring, about 1 minute more.
Add broth, cover and simmer over low heat for 8 minutes; stir in asparagus and simmer 2 minutes more. Remove from heat, stir in chives and vinegar; season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cheese and serve. Yields about 1 cup per serving.