Steel cut oats, also known as Irish oats, do take a while to cook but their slightly chewy texture is well-worth the extra time.
- 4 cup(s) water
- 1/4 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1 cup(s) uncooked steel cut oats
- 2 medium banana(s), ripe, mashed
- 1 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup(s) low-fat milk
- 8 tsp chopped walnuts
Bring water and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan; stir in oats and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until oats are tender, about 25 to 30 minutes; remove from heat. Gently stir in bananas, sugar, butter and vanilla; stir in milk. Serve oatmeal topped with walnuts. Yields about 1 cup oatmeal and 2 teaspoons walnuts per serving.
- For less intense banana flavor, chop the bananas instead of mashing them.Different brands of steel cut oats might vary in cooking time so make sure to check the cooking time on the package.