Moist and rich, this banana bread makes a great breakfast or snack. Enjoy it plain or toasted with reduced-fat cream cheese.
- 3 spray(s) cooking spray
- 5 large banana(s), very ripe
- 1 cup(s) whole wheat flour
- 1 cup(s) white all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 5 tsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup(s) packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg(s), at room temperature
- 1/4 cup(s) fat free skim milk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup(s) chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a large loaf pan with cooking spray.
Peel and mash 3 bananas. Peel and cut 2 bananas into small chunks. Set both aside.
In a large bowl, sift together both types of flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
In another large bowl, using an electric mixer, combine butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg; beat to incorporate.
Alternating in batches, add mashed bananas, flour mixture and milk to bowl with butter mixture. Combine well but do not over beat; fold in walnuts and banana chunks.
Turn batter into prepared pan; bake until a tester inserted in center of bread comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cool in pan for 15 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool more. Cut into 18 slices. Yields 1 slice per serving.