- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
- 12 oz uncooked pasta, gemelli or other twisted pasta (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1/8 tsp table salt, for pasta cooking water
- 10 oz uncooked broccoli, small florets (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 tsp salted butter
- 1/3 cup(s) fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 1/2 cup(s) fat free skim milk
- 1/3 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked onion(s), diced
- 1 cup(s) Weight Watchers Reduced fat Mexican style blend shredded cheese
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a shallow 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
Cook pasta in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water according to package directions, adding broccoli to water 3 minutes before pasta will be done; drain pasta and broccoli and return to pot.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; add bread crumbs and cook, stirring often, until light golden, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer crumbs to a small bowl; stir in 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese and set aside.
In same saucepan (wipe clean if necessary), whisk together milk and flour until blended; add onion. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking frequently. Reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes.
Remove from heat and whisk in shredded cheese, mustard, salt, pepper and remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Pour over cooked, drained pasta and broccoli; toss to mix and coat.
Transfer to a baking dish and sprinkle top evenly with bread crumbs. Bake until bubbly at edges, about 20 to 25 minutes. Divide into 8 pieces and serve. Yields 1 piece per serving.