Baked Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli
- Total Time
This casserole-like dish hits the spot when you’re in the mood for a hearty pasta recipe. Serve right away for the best flavor and texture.
cooking spray2 spray(s)
uncooked pasta12 oz, gemelli or other twisted pasta (about 2 1/2 cups)
table salt⅛ tsp, for pasta cooking water
uncooked broccoli10 oz, small florets (about 2 1/2 cups)
salted butter1 tsp
fresh breadcrumbs⅓ cup(s)
grated Parmesan cheese3 Tbsp, divided
fat free skim milk2 ½ cup(s)
all-purpose flour⅓ cup(s)
uncooked onion(s)½ cup(s), diced
Weight Watchers Reduced fat Mexican style blend shredded cheese1 cup(s)
Dijon mustard1 tsp
table salt1 ½ tsp
black pepper½ tsp, freshly ground
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a shallow 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water according to package directions, adding broccoli to water 3 minutes before pasta will be done; drain pasta and broccoli and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; add bread crumbs and cook, stirring often, until light golden, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer crumbs to a small bowl; stir in 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese and set aside.
- In same saucepan (wipe clean if necessary), whisk together milk and flour until blended; add onion. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking frequently. Reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in shredded cheese, mustard, salt, pepper and remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Pour over cooked, drained pasta and broccoli; toss to mix and coat.
- Transfer to a baking dish and sprinkle top evenly with bread crumbs. Bake until bubbly at edges, about 20 to 25 minutes. Divide into 8 pieces and serve. Yields 1 piece per serving.