Baked Chicken with Sun-dried Tomato Sauce
- Total Time
This juicy, flavorful dish is a wonderful surprise. The wheat germ adds a nutty edge to the chicken without adding any fat.
wheat germ¾ cup(s)
table salt1 tsp, divided
black pepper⅛ tsp
egg white(s)2 large, slightly beaten
uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s)1 pound(s), four 4 oz pieces
water¾ cup(s), boiling
sun-dried tomatoes (without oil)12 medium
canned pimento(s)7 oz, or jarred roasted red peppers
red wine vinegar1 Tbsp
table salt½ tsp
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Mix wheat germ, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper and pour onto a plate or flat bowl. Place slightly beaten egg whites in another flat bowl.
- Dip each piece of chicken in egg white, then in wheat-germ mixture to coat. Place chicken pieces on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Pour boiling water over sun-dried tomatoes and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Put tomatoes and water, roasted red peppers, vinegar and remaining salt in a blender and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust for salt.
- Heat sauce in microwave or in a saucepan and pour over baked chicken when done.