- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 small uncooked shallot(s), minced
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup(s) fat free evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup(s) fat free chicken broth
- 2 tsp mustard, coarse-grain
- 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1 1/2 pound(s) uncooked asparagus, trimmed
Heat oil in a small saucepan over low heat. Add shallots and cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes; stir in flour.
Very gradually whisk in milk and broth; bring to a simmer and let cook 1 minute. Whisk in mustard and season with salt; cover and keep warm.
Steam asparagus until tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Divide asparagus among 4 plates and top each with about 5 tablespoons of sauce.