Vegan crème caramel
7 - 10
PersonalPoints™ per serving
The classic dessert is reinvented using almond milk and tofu.
Unsweetened Almond Drink
4 tablespoons, level
Madagascan Vanilla Bean Paste
- Put the caster sugar in a small dry frying pan set over a medium-high heat. Cook for 8-10 minutes, swirling the pan (not stirring), until the sugar melts into a light-brown caramel. Remove from the heat. Carefully divide the caramel between 6 x 180ml ramekins, then set aside.
- Put the tofu, almond milk, maple syrup, cornflour and vanilla bean paste into a small food processor or blender and blitz until completely smooth.
- Transfer the tofu mixture to a pan and set over a medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes, whisking continuously, until thickened – it should be the consistency of a thick yogurt.
- Remove from the heat and divide the mixture between the ramekins, pouring it over the caramel. Transfer to the fridge and chill for 3 hours or until set.
- Briefly dip the base of each ramekin into a pan of just-boiled water to loosen the edges of the crème caramels. Carefully turn out onto plates to serve.
The caramel will set firmly in the ramekins and chilling them helps it form a thin, liquid sauce, so it’s best to make these at the start of the day to enjoy for dessert later.