Strawberry sponge layer cake
White Self Raising Flour
1 teaspoons, level
Low Fat Spread
Egg, whole, raw
2 medium, raw
½ medium, grated zest of
Low Fat Soft Cheese
2 teaspoons, heaped
150 g, trimmed and sliced
Low Calorie Jam
4 teaspoons, heaped, strawberry
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180°C/fan oven 160°C. Line two 18 cm (7 inches) diameter sponge cake tins with baking parchment.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl, add the sugar, low fat spread, eggs and half the orange zest. Beat with a wooden spoon or an electric whisk, or by hand, for 2 minutes or until the cake mixture is pale and fluffy. Divide between the two sponge tins and spread out evenly.
- Bake on the centre shelf of the oven for 15–18 minutes until the sponges are risen, golden brown and feel springy in the centre. The sponge should also be starting to pull away from the edges of the tin.
- Cool on a wire rack for a few minutes then turn out of the tins, remove the lining parchment and leave to cool completely.
- For the filling, beat the soft cheese with the rest of the orange zest plus 1½ teaspoons of icing sugar. Spread over the underside of one of the sponge layers and place on a serving plate. Top with the sliced strawberries (reserve a few slices for decoration if you wish).
- Spread the jam on the underside of the second sponge layer then place this on top of the strawberries to sandwich the layers together. Dust the top of the cake with ½ teaspoon icing sugar just before serving, decorating with the reserved strawberry slices if desired.