Strawberry meringue drops
PersonalPoints™ per serving
2 hr 15 min
Aquafaba makes for an excellent vegan alternative to egg whites in these sweet bites.
Oggs Aquafaba Egg Substitute
Cream of Tartar
Freeze Dried Raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 110°C, fan 90°C, gas mark ¼. Line 2 large baking sheets with baking paper.
- Put the aquafaba and cream of tartar in a large bowl. Use a hand-held electric whisk on the mixture for 3-4 minutes, until stiff peaks form, then gradually beat in the sugar until smooth and combined.
- In a mini food processor, pulse the freeze-dried strawberries until you have a finely ground powder. Reserve about ½ teaspoon to sprinkle over the tops, then gently fold the rest into the meringue.
- Spoon the mixture into a disposable piping bag fitted with a large round nozzle. Pipe 3-4cm circles onto the prepared trays – you’ll have enough mixture to make around 40 ‘meringues’. Bake for 2 hours, until they feel dry to the touch.
- Turn the oven off, leaving the baking sheets inside so that the ‘meringues’ dry out for 30 minutes to 1 hour as the oven cools. Sprinkle over the reserved dried strawberry powder before serving.
Try crushing a few ‘meringue’ drops over vegan yogurt or chopped fresh fruit for a delicious dessert – just remember to adjust the SmartPoints. If you are using aquafaba from drained chickpeas you will need to whisk with cream of tartar for 10-12 minutes.