Sticky date puddings
140 g, soft, pitted
75 g, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
1 teaspoon(s), level
Egg, whole, raw
3 medium, raw, separated
White Self Raising Flour
Bicarbonate of Soda
1½ teaspoon(s), level
- Preheat the oven to 160°C, fan 140°C, gas mark 3. Put the dates, apple and 225ml water in a medium pan, set over a low heat and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until soft. Leave to cool slightly, then transfer to a food processor or blender. Add the vanilla extract and blitz until smooth then transfer to a medium bowl.
- Stir egg yolks into the date mixture then sift in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt and gently stir to combine.
- In a large, clean bowl, whisk the egg whites using a hand-held electric whisk until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the egg whitesinto the date mixture until combined.
- Divide the date syrup between 6 pudding moulds, then top up each mould with the date batter. Transfer the puddings to a deep roasting tin then carefully pour enough boiled water into the tin to reach halfway up the sides of the moulds. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Turn the puddings out onto individual serving plates and serve warm.