Spiral veggie pie
Plain White Flour
225 g, plus extra for dusting
Low Fat Spread
115 g, cubed and chilled in freezer for 30 mins
Calorie controlled cooking spray
1 small, diced
2 clove(s), crushed
250 g, peeled weight and cubed
4 teaspoons, 4 leaves, roughly chopped
3 medium, trimmed
3 medium, halved lengthways
1 tablespoons, level
1 teaspoons, level, or paprika
- To make the pastry, sift the flour into a bowl with a pinch of salt. Rub in the spread until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add 2 tbsp ice-cold water and bring together with a knife. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and bring together with your hands, wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
- Mist a large lidded frying pan with cooking spray and fry the onion for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute. Add the squash, sage and a splash of water, and season well. Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a bowl and mash.
- Using a mandoline or vegetable peeler, slice the courgettes, carrots and aubergines into ribbons. In a bowl, whisk the olive oil with the agave nectar and chilli or paprika, then toss with the vegetable strips.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas mark 6 and mist a 22cm fluted tart tin with cooking spray. On a floured surface, roll the pastry out to a 5mm thickness. Line the tin with the pastry, trim the edges, then prick the base with a fork. Lay a circle of foil or baking paper over the base and cover with baking beans or rice. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove the beans or rice and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and turn the temperature down to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas mark 4. Spread the butternut mash over the base, then take a ribbon each of carrot, aubergine and courgette, and roll into a tight spiral. Place in the middle of the tart, then use the remaining veg ribbons to continue winding in a spiral effect until the shell is filled. Mist with cooking spray, then return to the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, until the veg is tender.
- Cut into wedges and serve with the salad leaves.