Spicy fish and prawn cakes
- Total Time
These fishcakes make a fab starter.
Spring Onions2 medium, chopped roughly
Garlic1 clove(s), crushed
Root Ginger2 teaspoons
Chilli, Green or Red1 individual, green, de-seeded and chopped or 1 teaspoon chilli puree or grated fresh root ginger
Cod, raw250 g, or haddock fillets, skinless, cut into chunks
Prawns, Peeled & Cooked125 g, quick frozen, thawed
Thai Fish Sauce2 tablespoons, or light soy sauce
Calorie controlled cooking spray5 spray(s)
Salt½ teaspoons, (optional)
Black pepper¼ teaspoons, or to taste
Coriander, Dried1 teaspoons, level
Lemon(s)1 medium, or lime, cut into wedges, to serve
- Put the onions, garlic, ginger and chilli into a food processor and whizz for a few seconds until chopped finely.
- Place the fish in the processor with the prawns, fish sauce or soy sauce, coriander and pepper.
- Blend everything together until the mixture looks mashed and just begins to hold together. Do not over-process or you will end up with purée.
- Add the cooking spray to a large non-stick frying-pan so it covers the pan. Take a small spoonful of the mixture and fry it for a minute or so on each side, then cool and taste it. If you think it needs it, mix in ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Using hands dipped into cold water, shape the mixture into eight patties. Reheat the pan. When the pan is hot cook the patties for 3 minutes on each side until they feel firm and golden brown. Drain the patties on kitchen paper and serve garnished with the lemon or lime wedges.