Spiced ginger scones
Calorie controlled cooking spray
Plain White Flour
135 g, 115g, plus 20g extra for dusting
1½ teaspoons, level
1 teaspoons, level
Low Fat Spread
Stem Ginger in Syrup
40 g, drained, finely sliced
Egg, whole, raw
2 large, raw
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, fan 170°C, gas mark 5. Mist a nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Sift the flours, baking powder and mixed spice into a large mixing bowl. Using your fingertips, rub in the low-fat spread until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar and stem ginger. Lightly beat 1 of the eggs and add to the dry ingredients with the buttermilk, mixing quickly with a table knife. Form into a soft dough using your hands.
- Lightly flour the work surface and gently roll out the dough until it’s 1½cm thick. Cut out 10 rounds using a 6cm cutter dipped in flour. Transfer the scones to the baking sheet.
- Lightly beat the remaining egg in a small bowl and use a pastry brush to brush the top of each scone with the beaten egg. Bake for 10-15 minutes until risen and golden, then transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.