Spiced fruit strudel with vanilla cream
50 g, or dried apricots, snipped in little cubes
2 medium, dessert
1 medium, peeled and chopped
Light Brown Sugar
25 g, or demerara sugar
2 teaspoon(s), level
1 medium, grated zest and juice
90 g, 3 large or 6 small filo sheets
Low Fat Spread
30 g, melted
1 teaspoon(s), level, For the Vanilla Cream Sauce:
Quark, fat free, plain
1 teaspoon(s), level
3 teaspoon(s), vanilla sugar or sweetener, to taste
- Beat together the quark, milk, essence and sugar or sweetener until smooth. Spoon into a jug and chill until required.
- Cover the cranberries or apricots with 100ml boiling water and leave for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, quarter, core and finely chop the apples and pear. Heat a large shallow pan and when hot tip in the chopped fruit and sprinkle over the sugar and spice. Mix in and cook for about 5 minutes then pour in the dried fruits, the soaking water, orange zest and juice.
- Bring to the boil and cook, stirring occasionally for another 5-7 minutes until the liquid reduces right down to nothing and the fruit is slightly softened. Remove and cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, Gas Mark 6. Lay a sheet of non-stick baking parchment on a metal baking tray. Lay out 1 large or 2 small filo sheets slightly overlapping on top. Brush lightly with the melted fat. Repeat with the remaining sheets so you have a pastry layer 3 sheets thick.
- Spoon the cooled fruit down one side of the long edge nearest to you. Then roll up into a long sausage. Brush melted fat on top and bake for 25-30 minutes turning the tray once for even browning.
- When the roll is golden brown and crisp, slide onto a wire rack to cool. Serve in diagonal wedges dusted with icing sugar. Serve with the vanilla cream in the jug so your guests can help themselves.