Calorie controlled cooking spray
Gluten & Wheat Free White Self-Raising Flour Blend
550 g, 540g for recipe plus 10g for dusting
Dried baking yeast
3 teaspoons, 1 tsp table salt, 2 tsp flaky sea salt
Bicarbonate of Soda
140 g, for boiling
4 tablespoons, level, American-style
1 tablespoons, level
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, fan 200°C, gas mark 7. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper; mist with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, yeast, salt and sugar, then gradually mix in 375ml warm water using a wooden spoon, until the mixture forms a smooth dough.
- Put a large piece of baking paper on your work surface and dust with flour. Transfer the dough to the baking paper and shape into a ball. Press the ball into a circle then use a knife to divide the dough into 4 pieces. Cut each piece into 3 wedges. Mist all over with cooking spray to keep the dough from drying out while you shape the pretzels.
- Roll each piece of dough into a smooth, 25cm-long rope. To form the pretzels, lay the rope in a horseshoe shape, with the open side towards you. Pick up the two ends and twist them around each other twice then take the tips back up to either side of the horseshoe shape. Press together gently, using a dab of water to secure if needed.
- Put 3 litres water and the bicarbonate of soda in a large shallow pot and bring to a boil. Working in batches, use a large slotted spoon to add 2 or 3 pretzels to the pan (the water should be deep enough to cover them). Cook for 30 seconds, then lift out to the prepared trays. Repeat with the remaining pretzels. Scatter with the salt.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through. Combine the mustard and agave syrup in a bowl for the dip; serve with the warm pretzels.