Stuffed aubergines with dill & feta
This flavour-packed stuffing is delicious roasted in lots of vegetables. We love it in butternut squash, pepper and courgette halves, too
4 medium, halved lengthways
Calorie controlled cooking spray
1 small, finely chopped
3 clove(s), crushed
1 teaspoon(s), level, smoked
1 teaspoon(s), level
1 can(s), large
1 tablespoon(s), level
Sun Dried Tomatoes
30 g, roughly chopped
Cloves, Whole or Ground
1 g, pinch
Bay leaf, dry
1½ teaspoon(s), level
Puy Lentils, Ready to Eat
Basmati Rice, Microwavable
1 pouch(es), cooked
25 g, chopped
Light Feta Cheese
100 g, crumbled
- Meanwhile, mist a large pan with cooking spray and cook the red onion for 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas mark 6. Put the aubergines cut-side up on a large baking sheet. Mist with cooking spray and season. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until softened.
- Stir in the garlic, paprika and cumin, then cook for 1 minute. Add the tinned tomatoes, tomato purée, sun-dried tomatoes, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf and oregano and stir well.
- Add a splash of water to the pan, then season and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the mixture has thickened.
- Scoop most of the roasted flesh from the aubergine halves, leaving a 5mm-thick shell. Roughly chop the flesh and add to the tomato sauce with the lentils, rice and most of the dill. Mix well to break up any clumps.
- Divide the mixture between the aubergine shells and top with the crumbled feta. Bake for a further 15-20 minutes, until the feta is golden and the filling is hot throughout. Serve garnished with the dill.
To save time, we used pouches of ready-to-eat lentils and microwave rice, but you could easily cook your own.