- Total Time
A spooktacular pie that all of the family will love.
Butternut Squash450 g, or pumpkin, peeled, de-seeded & cubed
Light Evaporated Milk205 ml
Egg, whole, raw1 medium, raw, beaten
Light Brown Sugar100 g
Ground Cinnamon½ teaspoons, level
Ground Ginger½ teaspoons, level
Filo Pastry80 g
Icing Sugar1 teaspoons, heaped, to decorate
- Place the squash in a lidded pan and cover with cold water. Cover, bring to the boil and simmer for 25–30 mins until tender. Drain well and then mash with a potato masher and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/200°C/fan 180°C. Place the evaporated milk in a large bowl with the egg, sugar and spices, and whisk together with a fork. Stir in the mashed squash and combine thoroughly.
- Line a 23cm (9in) diameter flan or pie dish with the filo pastry by first layering the sheets with the edges overlapping. Then fold back the excess pastry into the dish, leaving a little excess sticking up to form a lip around the circumference.
- Pour the filling into the pastry case, place the pie on a baking tray and bake for 35–40 mins until golden and firm to the touch. Cover the pie with some foil if the pastry starts to brown too much.
- Cool a little, then remove from the tin and cut into wedges. Dust with the icing sugar to serve.