Peppers stuffed with turkey & rice
Calorie controlled cooking spray
Peppers, All Types
1 large, finely chopped
3 clove(s), finely chopped
2 tablespoons, finely chopped
1 tablespoons, finely chopped
1 can(s), large
White Long Grain Rice, dry
Turkey Breast Mince, raw
- Preheat the oven to 190°c, fan 170°c, gas mark 5.
- Slice the tops off the peppers, reserving them. Carefully remove the seeds and trim a thin sliver off the bottom if the peppers don't stand upright.
- To make the filling, combine half the onion, half the garlic, parsley, dill, 1⁄4 tinned tomatoes, rice, turkey with a pinch of salt and pepper and set aside.
- To make the sauce, heat a large nonstick frying pan over a medium-high heat and add the oil. Fry the remaining onion for about 3 minutes until translucent. Add the remaining garlic and cook, stirring for 30 seconds. Stir in the remaining tomatoes, a pinch of salt and 175ml water. Bring to a boil over a high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 minute.
- Loosely stuff the peppers with the filling (leaving enough room for the rice to expand) and nestle the peppers in a baking dish. Replace the pepper tops and spoon the tomato sauce around the peppers in the baking dish.
- Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake for 75-90 minutes until the peppers are tender and the rice is cooked.