1 medium, chopped roughly
1 medium, peeled and chopped roughly
½ stick(s), chopped roughly
Calorie controlled cooking spray
Extra lean beef mince (5% fat), raw
1 clove(s), crushed
1 can(s), large, (use chopped)
Dried Mixed Herbs
Fresh Beef Stock
150 ml, or 150ml beef stock made from a cube
Low Fat Spread
Plain White Flour
Bay leaf, dry
Lasagne sheet, dry
6 sheet(s), (use no pre cook lasagne)
125 g, diced
15 g, freshly grated
- To make the Bolognese: place the onions, carrots and celery in a food processor and whizz until finely chopped, or chop finely by hand if you don’t have a processor.
- Heat a lidded flameproof casserole dish, spray lightly with the cooking spray, add the vegetable mixture and cook, covered, for 10 minutes until softened. Add a splash of water if the vegetables are starting to stick.
- Meanwhile, heat a non stick frying pan and spray with the cooking spray. Add the mince, breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon, and brown. You may need to do this in 2 batches, unless you have a very large frying pan, as adding too much at once will mean it is likely to boil in its own juices rather than fry and brown.
- Remove the lid from the casserole, stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Now add the browned mince, the red wine, chopped tomatoes, herbs and beef stock. Bring to a simmer, partially cover the casserole and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas mark 4.
- To make a white sauce; place the low fat spread, flour, skimmed milk and bay leaf in a non-stick saucepan. Cook over a medium-high heat, stirring all the time to avoid lumps, until the sauce comes to the boil. Simmer for 2 minutes then remove the bay leaf.
- Spread a quarter of the white sauce over the base of an 18cm (7inch) square baking dish. Add a third each of the Bolognese and the mozzarella and top with two sheets of lasagne.
- Repeat to make two more sets of layers of Bolognese, mozzarella and lasagne. Pour the rest of the white sauce evenly over the lasagne and scatter the Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 40 minutes or until the pasta is tender and the top of the lasagne is golden brown and crisp at the edges.