Lentil & cauliflower dhal
1 hr 25 min
1 hr 15 min
A warming dish that’s fragrant with spices. If you prefer it hot, simply toss in a few extra chillies.
1 whole, broken into florets
1 tablespoon(s), level
Calorie controlled cooking spray
2 large, finely sliced
3 clove(s), crushed
30 g, grated
Chilli, green or red
1 individual, thinly sliced
3 tablespoon(s), level
6 large, roughly chopped
Split Red Lentils, dry
Stock gel (stock pots)
2 pot(s), unprepared, vegetable, 1.8 litres stock
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas mark 6. Put the cauliflower in a roasting tin and drizzle over the oil. Season and roast for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast the cumin seeds in a dry frying pan for 1-2 minutes until fragrant, then grind them using a pestle and mortar.
- Mist a large flameproof casserole with cooking spray and fry the onions for 8-10 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic, ginger, chilli, spices and ground cumin seeds, then cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils and stock, then bring the mixture to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, for 1 hour, until the lentils are tender. Add a splash of water if the dhal starts to look dry.
- Stir through the roast cauliflower and season to taste, then set aside to cool completely before portioning and freezing.