Hot Cross Buns
Dried baking yeast
65 g, 55g + 2 tsp
125 ml, warmed
Egg, whole, raw
1 medium, raw, lightly beaten
Plain White Flour
1 teaspoons, level
Low Fat Spread
Calorie controlled cooking spray
Low Calorie Jam
45 g, reduced sugar apricot jam, melted
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the yeast, 55g sugar, the milk and 80ml warm water. Leave to rest in a warm place for 5 minutes until frothy. Whisk in the egg. Sift 450g flour and the mixed spice into a large mixing bowl and rub in the spread using your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir the sultanas and currants through the flour mixture. Make a well in the centre and pour in the yeast mixture. Using a wooden spoon, gradually stir together the wet and dry ingredients to form a sticky dough.
- Tip the dough out on to a lightly floured surface and knead for 5-7 minutes until elastic. Transfer to a bowl and cover with a clean, dry tea towel. Set aside to prove in a warm draught-free place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas mark 6. Lightly mist an 18 x 28cm cake tin with cooking spray. Use your fist to knock back the dough and remove the excess air.
- Divide the dough into 12 and roll into balls. Arrange in the prepared tin. Set aside in a warm, draught-free place for 30 minutes or until doubled in size. Make a flour paste by combining the remaining flour and sugar with about 2 tbsp water in a small bowl. Transfer to a small food bag, snip off a corner and pipe crosses onto the buns.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas mark 4 and bake for a further 20 minutes or until golden and the buns sound hollow when lightly tapped. Remove from the oven and set aside in the tin to cool slightly. Brush with the melted jam. Serve warm or at room temperature.