Hot Cross Buns
Plain White Flour
505 g, 495 + 10g dusting
1 teaspoons, level
Low Fat Spread
Dried baking yeast
65 g, 55g + 2 tsp
125 ml, warmed
Egg, whole, raw
1 medium, raw, lightly beaten
Calorie controlled cooking spray
Low Calorie Jam
45 g, reduced sugar apricot jam, melted
- Sift 450g flour and the mixed spice into a large mixing bowl and rub in the spread using your fingertips, until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the yeast, 55g sugar, sultanas and currants.
- Whisk the milk, 80ml water and the egg together in a jug, using a fork. Make a well in the dry ingredients, pour in the wet ingredients and bring together as a sticky dough, using a wooden spoon.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5-7 minutes until elastic. Return to the bowl, cover and leave to prove in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas mark 6. Lightly mist an 18cm x 28cm baking tin with cooking spray. Knock back the dough with your fist to remove the excess air.
- Divide the dough into 12 and roll into balls. Arrange in the prepared tin, cover again and set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes or until doubled in size. Make a flour paste by combining the remaining flour and sugar with about 2 tablespoons water in a small bowl. Transfer to a small food bag, snip off a corner and pipe crosses on the buns.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas mark 4 and bake for a further 20 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven and set aside in the tin to cool slightly. Brush with the melted jam to glaze. Serve warm or at room temperature.