Hot cross buns
Strong White Flour (bread flour)
Dried baking yeast
1 teaspoons, level
½ teaspoons, level
150 ml, tepid, reserve 1 tbsp to brush the buns with
Low Fat Spread
50 g, reserve 2 tsp to glaze
Egg, whole, raw
1 medium, raw, beaten
Plain White Flour
1 tablespoons, level
- Place the flour, salt, yeast, spices and currants in a large bowl and mix well. Combine the milk and 75ml tepid water in a jug and add the spread, sugar and egg. Beat well.
- Add the milk mixture to the bowl and combine well with a knife.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for a couple of minutes until smooth. Place in a clean mixing bowl, cover with clingfilm and allow to rise for 1 hour.
- Knead the dough to knock the air out, divide into 12 and shape into buns. Place on a nonstick baking sheet and allow to rise until doubled in size (about 30 minutes). Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/ 200ºC/fan 180ºC.
- For the crosses, mix the flour and sugar with 2 tbsp water to make a paste and spoon it into a small piping bag with a plain nozzle. With a knife, mark a cross on each bun, brush with the reserved milk and pipe a cross on each one.
- Bake for 15–20 minutes until risen and golden. Dissolve the reserved sugar in 4 tbsp boiling water and glaze the buns as soon as they are cooked.