3 - 4
PersonalPoints™ per serving
Our take on this great classic British biscuit. Full of fruit, layered between two sheets of crispy golden biscuit.
Mixed Dried Fruit
Tea, All Types
1 bag(s), earl grey, seeped in 120ml hot water
Low Fat Spread
White Self Raising Flour
Egg, whole, raw
1 medium, raw
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, 160°C fan, 350°F, gas mark 4. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place the dried fruit in a bowl and pour over 120ml earl grey tea. Leave to soak for 15 minutes. Drain the fruit, then blot with kitchen paper to remove excess moisture.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour and salt. Add the low fat spread and rub it into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Mix in the caster sugar until combined.
- Add the egg yolk and 1 tablespoon water, mix until the mixture comes together to form a firm dough. Knead the dough very gently into a ball, then flatten it into a disc. Wrap the disc in cling film and chill for at least 20 minutes.
- Cut the dough in half, on 2 large pieces of baking paper roll out each piece to a 20 x 15cm rectangle (about 3mm thick). Sprinkle one of the rectangles evenly with the dried fruit. Lay the second rectangle on top.
- Place a sheet of baking paper over the top of the rectangles, then evenly roll out the layered pastry and fruit into a 25 x 20cm rectangle. Remove the top piece of baking paper. Trim the edges of the pastry, then cut the rectangle lengthways in half. Cut each new rectangle of pastry crossways into 7 equal biscuits (each about 9cm long x 3.5cm wide), to make 14 biscuits in total. Prick the dough all over with a fork and brush with the remaining beaten egg white.
- Place the biscuits on the lined baking tray, spacing them out evenly. Bake for 12–15 minutes, until light golden brown. Remove the biscuits from the oven and leave them to cool on the tray for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Optional To decorate, melt 50g white chocolate, then place in a small piping bag, place the spread in a separate piping bag. Over one bottom edge of 1 biscuit pipe alternate lines of the chocolate spread and white chocolate to get three lines each. With a cocktail stick, drag the lines first one way towards the centre of the biscuit, then in the other direction, towards the edge of the biscuit, then the third line drag towards the centre of the biscuit. Repeat with the remaining biscuits. With the decoration the biscuits will be 5 PersonalPoints per serving