Forest fruits layer cake
Calorie controlled cooking spray
Low Fat Spread
White Self Raising Flour
1 teaspoons, level
Egg, whole, raw
4 large, raw
20 ml, (1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon)
Frozen Mixed Berries
300 g, mixed forest fruits
½ tablespoons, level, clear
0% fat natural Greek yogurt
20 g, (2 tablespoons)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas mark 4. Mist two 18cm-round sandwich tins with cooking spray and line with baking paper. Using a stand mixer, beat together the spread and caster sugar until pale and smooth.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder, then add the eggs and the 1 tsp vanilla bean paste and beat until just combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared tins, levelling the tops with the back of a spoon. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Set aside to cool slightly in the tins, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make a compote: put the forest fruits, ½ tbsp. of the vanilla bean paste, the honey and 1 tsp water in a pan set over a low heat. Simmer for 5 minutes until warm, then strain the mixture using a sieve. Set aside the fruit. Return the juices to the pan and boil for 3-4 minutes, or until reduced slightly. Set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, whisk together the Skyr yogurt, icing sugar and remaining vanilla bean paste. Using a spoon, swirl the berry juices through the icing.
- Cut the cakes in half to create four layers, then place one on a cake stand and spread over a quarter of the yogurt icing. Repeat with the remaining cakes and icing, finishing with icing. Spoon over the reserved fruit and any remaining juice to serve.