Citrus upside down cake
Calorie controlled cooking spray
3 medium, 1 blood orange, thinly sliced; 2 normal orange, one sliced one juiced
2 zest(s) of 1
Freshly squeezed orange juice
60 ml, from one of the oranges
Low Fat Spread
Egg, whole, raw
3 medium, raw
1 teaspoons, level
White Self Raising Flour
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas mark 4. Line a 20cm square cake tin with baking paper.
- Grate the zest from the 2 oranges, then thinly slice one and squeeze the juice from the other. Put 100g sugar in a large frying pan with 50ml water. Heat over a gentle heat, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved. Turn up the heat and add the sliced orange and the blood orange. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the orange slices are soft and the liquid is syrupy. Remove the fruit from the pan and set aside to cool. Add the orange juice to the pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the remaining sugar and low-fat spread using a hand-held electric whisk. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating between each addition. Add the orange zest and vanilla bean paste or extract and stir well to incorporate. Gently fold in the flour until you have a smooth batter.
- Arrange the orange slices over the base of the prepared tin, then pour over the cake mixture. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool in the tin.
- Turn the cake out onto a serving plate and remove the baking paper. Brush the syrup over the top of the cake, then serve.