Chinese duck wraps
1 hr 35 min
A main meal version of the ever-popular Chinese duck pancakes to make at home.
Duck Breast, Skinless, raw
2 tablespoon(s), dark
Chinese 5 Spice
2 teaspoon(s), level
1 teaspoon(s), sliced
8 leaf/leaves, small
175 g, cut into matchsticks
3 medium, shredded
- Place the duck breasts in a medium lidded pan with the soy sauce, Chinese five spice powder, ginger, and about 500ml cold water (enough to cover the duck). Bring to the boil with the lid on. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting and simmer for 20 minutes, turning the duck breasts over halfway through.
- Remove from the heat and leave to stand for 1 hour to finish cooking and infuse with flavour.
- Remove the duck from the cooking water (reserve 4 tablespoons). Shred the meat and mix with the reserved cooking water.
- When ready to serve, gently reheat the shredded duck, either in a lidded saucepan or in the microwave. Warm the tortilla wraps according to the packet instructions.
- Let everyone assemble their own wraps: drizzle a wrap with a little hoisin sauce, add a couple of lettuce leaves and then pile on the shredded cucumber, spring onions, beansprouts and duck.
You can easily cook and shred the duck a day ahead. Cover and store it in the fridge, and then reheat it when ready to serve.