Chicken & chickpea stew
2 can(s), large, drained
Calorie controlled cooking spray
2 teaspoons, level, smoked
1 teaspoons, level
½ teaspoons, level
2 medium, deseeded and finely sliced
Chicken breast, skinless, raw
450 g, cut into strips
2 can(s), large, chopped
Bulgur wheat, dry
2 tablespoons, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 210°C, fan 190°C, gas mark 6½. Put ¼ of the chickpeas in a roasting tin and mist with cooking spray.
- Mix the smoked paprika, oregano and chilli flakes together and sprinkle a third over the chickpeas. Roast for 25 minutes or until crisp.
- Meanwhile, heat a large casserole over a medium heat and mist with cooking spray. Add the pepper and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until starting to soften.
- Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes, or golden on all sides. Stir in the remaining spice mix, then add the rest of the chickpeas, along with the chopped tomatoes. Simmer for 15 minutes until the liquid has reduced slightly.
- Meanwhile, put 1 litre water in a pan and bring to a boil. Add the bulgur wheat and cook until tender. Drain, then toss through most of the parsley.
- Serve the stew with the bulgur wheat and chickpeas, garnished with the remaining parsley.