Caramelised red onion and goat’s cheese tarts
- Total Time
These fabulous individual tarts make a perfect light meal when served with salad.
Calorie controlled cooking spray5 spray(s)
Onion(s)2 large, sliced into wedges
Light Brown Sugar1 teaspoons
Filo Pastry4 sheet(s), small, (defrosted if frozen)
Goat's Cheese50 g
Black pepper⅛ teaspoons
Thyme, Fresh8 sprig(s), to garnish
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5/190°C/fan oven 170°C.
- Spray a nonstick frying pan with low fat cooking spray. Add the onions and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the sugar and cook, stirring occasionally, for another 5-8 minutes or until the onions begin to turn a rich golden brown. Cool.
- Cut the pile of filo pastry sheets into eight 10cm (4 inch) squares. Spraying each separate piece with low fat cooking spray, layer them into eight muffin tins or individual flan tins. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes, until the pastry is almost cooked. Spoon the onions into the tarts and share the goat’s cheese between them. Top with thyme sprigs and bake for 3-4 more minutes.
- Season the tarts with black pepper, then serve. Add some strips of yellow and red pepper to the onions, if you like.