Butternut squash mac n 'cheese'
1000 g, peeled, deseeded and diced
Calorie controlled cooking spray
White pasta, dry
280 g, macaroni
Dairy Free Spread
2 clove(s), crushed
Plain White Flour
2 tablespoons, level
½ tablespoons, level, English mustard
Unsweetened Almond Drink
Vegan Yeast Flakes
1 tablespoons, snipped, plus extra to serve
Salad (zero SmartPoints values)
100 g, mixed leaves
Lemon Juice, Fresh
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas mark 6. Put the butternut squash into a roasting tin, mist with cooking spray, and season to taste. Roast for 35-40 minutes until tender and golden, then blitz in a food processor or mash until smooth.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta for 6-8 minutes until just al dente, then drain and set aside.
- Put the spread into a large pan set over a medium-high heat. Once melted, add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the flour and mustard powder and cook, stirring constantly, for 4-5 minutes.
- Gradually stir in the almond milk and gently simmer for 10 minutes until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Season to taste and stir in the nutritional yeast and mashed squash until well combined. Add the pasta and chives and stir to combine, then pour into a 1.2 litre baking dish and bake for 20 minutes until lightly golden.
- Dress the salad leaves with the lemon juice, then serve with the macaroni cheese, with the extra chives scattered over.