Butter style chicken curry
- Total Time
Onion(s)2 large, 1 finely sliced, 1 finely diced
Root Ginger2 inch slice(s), peeled and finely sliced
Butternut Squash350 g, peeled and seeds removed
Vegetable stock cube(s)1 cube(s), to make 1 litre stock
Calorie controlled cooking spray4 spray(s)
Curry Powder9 teaspoons
Chicken breast, skinless, raw550 g, cut into large pieces
White basmati rice, dry200 g
Spinach50 g, young leaf plus 2 tsp onion seeds
Fat Free Natural Yogurt100 g
Coriander, fresh10 g, roughly chopped
- Put the diced onion, garlic, ginger, squash and stock in a large pan over a medium heat. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 12-15 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Strain the stock through a sieve set over a large bowl and set aside. Put the drained vegetables and the passata in a blender or food processor and blitz until smooth.
- Mist a deep frying pan or casserole with cooking spray and fry the sliced onions over a medium heat for 5-8 minutes, until softened. Add the curry powder and fry for another 2 minutes. Add the chicken and fry for 3 minutes until just sealed, then stir in the puréed vegetable and passata mixture, along with 400ml of the reserved stock. Simmer for 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice to pack instructions, adding the turmeric to the cooking water to colour the rice.
- When the curry is almost done, put the spinach in a microwave-safe bowl with 2-3 tbsp water, cover and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Leave to stand for 1-2 minutes then scatter over the onion seeds and coriander.
- Serve the curry with the turmeric rice, wilted spinach and yogurt on the side.