Butter style chicken curry
2 large, 1 finely sliced, 1 finely diced
2 clove(s), crushed
2 inch slice(s), peeled and finely sliced
350 g, peeled and seeds removed
Vegetable stock cube(s)
1 cube(s), to make 1 litre stock
Calorie controlled cooking spray
Chicken breast, skinless, raw
550 g, cut into large pieces
White basmati rice, dry
50 g, young leaf, plus 2 tsp onion seeds
Fat Free Natural Yogurt
10 g, roughly chopped
- Put the diced onion, garlic, ginger, squash and stock in a large pan over a medium heat. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 12-15 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Strain the stock through a sieve set over a large bowl and set aside. Put the drained vegetables and the passata in a blender or food processor and blitz until smooth.
- Mist a deep frying pan or casserole with cooking spray and fry the sliced onions over a medium heat for 5-8 minutes, until softened. Add the curry powder and fry for another 2 minutes. Add the chicken and fry for 3 minutes until just sealed, then stir in the puréed vegetable and passata mixture, along with 400ml of the reserved stock. Simmer for 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice to pack instructions, adding the turmeric to the cooking water to colour the rice.
- When the curry is almost done, put the spinach in a microwave-safe bowl with 2-3 tbsp water, cover and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Leave to stand for 1-2 minutes then scatter over the onion seeds and coriander.
- Garnish the curry with chopped coriander and serve with the turmeric rice, wilted spinach and yogurt on the side.