Colcannon cakes with fried eggs
500 g, Maris Piper, cut into small chunks
Brussels Sprouts, Raw
150 g, shredded
100 g, Savoy, shredded
¼ teaspoons, level
Plain White Flour
Calorie controlled cooking spray
2 medium, finely chopped
450 g, young leaf
Egg, whole, raw
4 medium, raw
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil over a medium heat and cook the potatoes for 15-20 minutes until tender, adding the sprouts and cabbage for the last 3 minutes. Drain and return to the pan to steam-dry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the nutmeg, then mash until the potatoes are smooth and the vegetables have broken up a bit. Season to taste. Allow to cool slightly, then shape the mixture into 8 patties.
- Preheat the oven to 120°C, fan 100°C, gas mark ½. Put the flour onto a large plate and lightly coat the patties in the flour. Mist a large frying pan with cooking spray and cook the patties over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side until golden, then transfer to a baking sheet and put in the oven to keep warm.
- Wipe the pan clean and mist with cooking spray. Add the shallots and cook for 3 minutes or until soft, adding a splash of water if it gets dry. Add the spinach and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes until the spinach has wilted – you may need to add the spinach in 2 batches. Season to taste. Transfer to a bowl, cover and keep warm.
- Wipe the pan, mist with cooking spray again and fry the eggs for 2-3 minutes until the whites have set. Serve the cakes with the spinach on the side and a fried egg on top with a sprinkling of freshly ground black pepper.