Beetroot & goats cheese tarts
400 g, trimmed, peeled and cut into thin rounds
Calorie controlled cooking spray
Doves Farm Organic White Spelt Flour
180 g, 170g, plus 10g for dusting
Low Fat Spread
Egg yolk, raw
Egg, whole, raw
3 medium, raw
Reduced Fat Soured Cream
Fat free natural cottage cheese
Medium Fat Soft Goat's Cheese
- To make the pastry, put the flour, low-fat spread and salt into a food processor and blitz until combined. Add the egg yolk and blitz again until a dough ball forms. Divide into 8 balls, cover, and chill in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, fan 200°C, gas mark 7. Line a roasting tin with kitchen foil, then add the beetroot and thyme sprigs. Mist with cooking spray, season and toss to coat. Roast for 15-20 minutes, until just tender.
- Meanwhile, put the spinach in a colander set over the sink and pour over boiling water from the kettle to wilt. Drain, then squeeze out any liquid. Whisk together 2 of the eggs with the soured cream and cottage cheese. Stir in the spinach and thyme. Season and set aside.
- Reduce the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas mark 6. Roll each dough ball out on a lightly floured surface to a 12cm circle and transfer to 2 nonstick baking trays.
- Arrange half the beetroot on each pastry circle, leaving a 2cm border, then top with the filling and remaining beetroot. Fold the pastry rims up and over the edge of the filling. Beat the remaining egg and brush it over the pastry edges. Bake for 20 minutes, then crumble over the goat’s cheese and bake for a final 5-10 minutes.
- To serve, Scatter over a few sprigs of fresh thyme, season with freshly ground black pepper and serve with mixed green salad leaves on the side.