Beer-glazed chicken skewers with succotash
1 hr 10 min
Whether you’re hosting a barbecue or Father’s Day gathering or just celebrating a run of sunny weather, these sticky skewers served with an all-American side will go down a treat.
Chicken breast, skinless, raw
6 medium, diced
2 clove(s), crushed
1 teaspoon(s), heaped
Broad beans, frozen, boiled
Low Fat Spread
2 large, diced
Corn on the cob, raw
4 medium, kernels removed
2 stick(s), diced
150 g, thinly sliced
3 teaspoon(s), heaped
2 clove(s), crushed
Asda Cider Vinegar
Sainsbury's Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tablespoon(s), torn
- To make the marinade, whisk together the garlic, stout, soy sauce, honey and mustard in a bowl. Add the chicken and toss to coat, then cover and put in the fridge until you’re ready to cook. If you’re using wooden skewers, put them in water to soak – this will stop them burning on the barbecue.
- Drain the chicken in a sieve set over a pan to catch the marinade. Thread the chicken onto 6 skewers and set aside. Simmer the marinade, stirring, until it has reduced to a quarter of its original quantity. Set aside.
- Heat the barbecue while you make the succotash. Blanch the broad beans in a pan of boiling water for 1-2 minutes, then drain and pop them out of their skins.
- Melt the spread in a flameproof casserole set over a medium heat and fry the onions for 6-8 minutes until softened. Stir in the thyme and cook for 2 minutes, then stir in the sweetcorn, celery and green beans. Cook for 5 minutes, then add the broad beans and cook for 2-3 minutes until the broad beans are tender. Transfer to a serving bowl. For the dressing, whisk together the honey, mustard, garlic, vinegar and olive oil, and season to taste. Drizzle over the succotash, add the basil and toss to coat.
- Barbecue the skewers for 10-12 minutes, turning regularly and brushing with the reduced marinade every few minutes, until charred, sticky and cooked through. Serve with the succotash.